13 November 2005

time.

bizarre, "only dan could manage this" kind of week. i realized several hours ago that it was sunday, 3 a.m., not saturday 3 a.m., that it was the fourth/final day of my rotation, not the third, that i had completely forgotten about an entire day of work somehow, and that for at least one day i was completely Disoriented to Time and Events. which, if i were one of my patients, would make me incompetent to make medical decisions. well. i made them anyway. it's a good thing i got it straightened out before sleeping another day away and making the discovery while reporting to work next evening.

in a bizarre twist of fate, i took a patient to the hospital tuesday night; wednesday night, i ferried in the transplant team and then took that team back to the airport with his heart (he had no use for it anymore). huh. wierd. i took a nasty gunshot wound, an ugly knife wound, a diabetic near-coma, and (shocker!) a drunken college student, too. and Andy the MD resident let me watch him stitch the knife wound up, too! it's inspired me to look into getting a suture kit for my more seriously long-range adventures.

and, I talked to a patient for twenty minutes through her apartment's locked door before the BFD managed to find someone with appropriate keys to get us in. what a week. I'm staying up for another few hours to catch the early-bird breakfast special at Amy's. then, maybe morning mass, and find a park to sit and read in until i find some better way to stay awake until the Houghton College Choir performs as St. Andy's. By then, if I make it without collapse, I'll be ready for bed and the resumption of a few days on a real sleep schedule--the kind where you get to see the sun shine...


--------------


pt. II

so i was thinking about how badly my feet smelled after four consecutive days smashed into my work boots and it reminded me of the godawful reek that was my first clue in Tanzania that my blisters were seioursly infected. and that reminded me of how awesome it was to bathe my feet in Dettol, a medical wonder unmatched in Western civilization, for reasons i cannot comprehend. and that reminded me of bryan, my friend who recommended the Dettol. so later in my perusing of various webs of blogs and livejournals, it was no surprise to me later to suddenly be reminded of something bryan said once. many people laughed at the occasion. but the more i think about it, the more it sounds like basically exactly what i'm thinking about love and marriage. maybe this is a bad sign that something so many people thought comedic strikes me as so profound. but i like it right now:

"What I want is a woman to have adventures with--I don't want the woman to be the adventure!"


ladies and gentlemen, the great Bryan Adkins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awseome quote. It made me laugh. I'm now in the 32nd year of the adventure with my first wife. Beware of wanting the adventure more than the relationship. Else the companion just becomes a scullery maid with sexual priviliges (sp?).

tskd said...

Scullery maid? In such a case I wouldn't become a scullery maid, and there wouldn't BE any sexual priviledges...To amend the above comment, "beware of wanting the adventure more than the relationship, it's stupid."