20 November 2005

pole

people here are rude. if you are different or new or learning a new place, they take advantage of that and poke fun at you and use you for their amusement or, if you're lucky, they don't bother you much. they use social power to make you hurt until you gather enough social power or verbal prowess of your own to fight back and etch out your own little niche in the power structure which you maintain by abusing those below you. fellowship is a hoarded commodity--but disdain is free! and rather palpable. and almost a sport, people are so eager to jump to it.

management shits on supervisors; supervisors piss on labor; labor does other things to new guys; new guys scrabble for position. onward marches the cycle, each looking to his own, all squinty-eyed and posessive.

[sigh] i am tired of mankind. and womankind.

i like trees though. and bicycles. and snow. and thank the sweet lord for discmen, because if i didn't have the The Postal Service playing ("don't wake me/i plan on sleping in") i'd have to be listening to what my housemate and his girlfriend are doing in the next room over. they woke up pretty quickly after i got to sleep and i don't think sunday morning means church for them--so i guess it means no peaceful slumber for me either.

i want to go back to Tanzania. people there are civilized. or at least civil. or, hell, i'd go to Hawaii. check out deanna, who has finally posted after a long absence, during which she apparently died after a life of sainthood and went to heaven.

5 comments:

tskd said...

ehhhh na, na mimi pia, nataka kujificha kutoka watu hawa. and i think your first sentence is well put. "people here are rude." it's so exhausting. but this morning, on the way to work, i was royally miffed about that fact and i was scowling to myself, "be light my FOOT. i can't be light, it's too dark." And then I realized that light doesn't MATTEr in a place where things are ALREADY lit up. Light makes a difference where it's DARK. So I grumbled my way a few yards forward, "God I don't WANT to be light when all the rude, mean, selfish people keep spoiling my joy." But really, that's a silly thing to say. And then I thought of the amazing message our pastor gave us in church this past Sunday. And I tried to come up with all the things I have to be thankful for. So, on that note, my wonderful red-haired-friend, and from the heart of someone who is also continually stumped by the emptiness of this place-don't quit on these people just becuase they've quit on everybody else. Be light. (Whatever that means...I'm still trying to discover...)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we as people forget that when we are upset or dissatisfied it is our problem, not everybody elses too.

Dave

Anonymous said...

oho, that's a double-edged comment! lol

Anonymous said...

I guess I hadn't thought about that...

But yes it does apply both ways in many cases.

Dave

Whitfield said...

pole sana, Dan. honto. (Japanese for "truly" or something like that)
I got your letter, by the way. At first I was a little confused. grins But then it started making sense (perhaps that's not as good a sign as I think), and it made me laugh. And think. And I haven't started writing back because I've been crazy busy. I hate using business as an excuse. It always seems like a cop-out - a really lame reason for not giving your attention to people who matter. But lame excuse or not, it's a real one. So, sorry to make you wait for me to write, and then another week as it travels across Japan and the Pacific, and continental America until it finally reaches Buffalo, NY, but sometimes asi es la vida (how many languages can I squeeze into one blog comment??). K. I'm about to pass out from a weeks worth of exhaustion, so I'm going to say buenas noches, and hoping you're doing well.

au revior (sp?)
Rachel