05 March 2009

So's you all know...

Here's a little update from the late shift.

It's closing on my 26th birthday, which is a little scary. Last year around this time, I was gearing up for Officer's Candidate School. Part of that gearing up process was a high-intensity running schedule, during which I sustained bilateral (that's both-side-ical in medical jargon) lower leg injuries due mostly to bad shoes and an idiotic determination to "run through the pain." After months of trying to treat shin splints through all sorts of techniques and resting and physical therapy, it's finally been confirmed by X-Ray that I sustained at least one stress fracture, in my right tibia. I went in for a bone scan last week to see if there were any more. Still waiting for the results on that. I have an appointment with an orthopedist to see if I'll ever be able to get back on my feet.

And, in the meantime, I've thoroughly enjoyed plugging myself back into life here at Houghton. I'm working with the volunteer rescue squad again, hosting game nights on Wednesdays with an exciting variety of local guys, and getting psyched for another riding season (the snow is almost completely gone now!). At some point, I'll put some feet on a new career search (ideas, anyone?), but for the meantime, taking an EMT refresher course, applying for another part-time job in emergency dispatch, and making more trips back home to Michigan is keeping me busy enough.


Thought of the day, from the Fellows of the Boar's Head Tavern:

“Living in the age of sensation, we think that if we don’t feel something, there can be no authenticity in doing it. But the wisdom of God says something different, namely, that we can act ourselves into a new way of feeling much quicker than we can feel ourselves into a new way of acting. Worship is an act which develops feelings for God, not a feeling for God which is expressed in an act of worship. When we obey the command to praise God in worship, our deep, essential need to be in relationship with God is nurtured.” -Eugene Peterson

2 comments:

Ben said...

You should keep yourself busy with a trip down to NC to visit me. My apartment is always open.

- Ben

Anonymous said...

Love the quote! Thanks. This is a little late, but I'm just catching up on your blog after being away for a while.
God Bless,