20 March 2008

Thoughts?

"Some firms wouldn't hire me--they'd probably seen the name Bob Jones University on my resume and figured, "If the school can't even call itself Robert Jones University, how bright can its graduates be?" "


"Me and Mr. Jones," a reflection on living and leaving the Bob Jones lifestyle.

"By the time I joined my law firm, no one could have guessed at my past. I had stopped attending church and begun paying fifteen dollars for a single lipstick. I worked a "man's job" and decided to wait to have babies. I fiew to Vegas to play slots with my father. Any of these was enough to doom my soul, but life felt too good, as the preachers had warned, and I couldn't stop. This transformation still comes at a price. I haven't enjoyed a success or a pleasure or a new song without suspecting that the sin was being recorded somewhere to be used against me someday. Fun still unsettles me inside.

"Today, I'm on a partnership track in a top-tier law firm...Now I give advice to Fortune 500 corporations and green-light million-dollar deals. Savvy businessmen respect my opinion. They don't know that I still wake up screaming sometimes. The world is a scary place, and in my dreams I'm still protected. In my dreams, I'm still at Bob Jones, the place where everything turns out right. That's a feeling any person would want. When I see conservative Muslims or Orthodox Jews on the street, Branch Davidians on TV, baby cousins at my family reunion, I can see they've been promised that feeling, too. Under the right circumstances, that promise can be the most powerful thing in the world. Under the right circumstances, you'll do anything for that promise."


In the midst of smatterings of the normal trasnfers, traffic snafus, asthmatics and cuckoo binge drinkers, Barrett and I managed to have the incredible luck of having to do not one, but two "confirmations"--where we arrive far too late and can do nothing but confirm that the patient is already gone and we can't do anything. One 90-ish year old guy, one thirty-ish year old woman. You think it would make a difference, the one being full up with years like Abraham, the other young and mysteriously, unaccountably gone, but the family's faces and tears were the same.

So you look around the house, and they both had their inner-city apartment walls covered in copious amounts of Jesus Crap from the Christian bookstore. So what do you say to the bereaved? We're sorry for your loss. It looks like he was a good man. It looks like she was a good woman. They were on speaking terms with the Big Guy. They're with Jesus now.

But, I, as always, wonder: what if the sunny children and "God Watches Over This House" plaques and eerily matching "When God Closes a Door He Always Opens Another" posters with the little kitten on them were the wife's, and the old man hated it until the day he cursed his last? What if the religious young woman was the worst kind of tyrant? What if the young men were crying because they did not know how to think about the not-so-dearly beloved, what if they were remembering with disappointment that all they had to remember from father or mother or sister was abuse, tyrrany, and rampant egotism.

Something deep inside me is reminding me it's not very good to speak ill of the dead.

And what do I believe, anyway, about this going to be with Jesus when we die? About the chances of resurrection, about he qualifications for eternal life? I'm certainly not on "good speaking terms" with the big guy. I think he's kind of an absentee jerk, in fact, but I'm not about to say it because, hey, my life is still pretty sweet, and there's this big, big payoff for swallowing your questions and toeing the line, so they say, and not much of one at all for saying, "Fuckit, this shit's ridiculous, I'm going to go blow my meaningless life at [pick your empty existentialist excuse for a dull, self-involved, neurotic pasttime]." (Note to self: thank Lewis and Chesterton for taking all the thrill and promise out of hedonism.)

And, hey, I don't even know who I'm talking about, anyway...he doesn't really pop up and endorse particular theologies every November like our good Republican presidential candidates.

Well, this is what that living in a moral vacuum feels like. Gee, it sucks. There must be an alternative...unless you're not sincerely convinced the world isn't a moral vacuum. So do you pretend? Especially if you're pretty sure that people who are convinced that the world is not a moral vacuum are essentially happier, and generally better, people--except when they find themselves incapable of convincing themselves anymore and fall apart into the cynical, the bitter, and the burnt out?

Thoughts and musings...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're totally wrong. Looking the monstrous edifice of religion square in the eye and say "Fuckit, this shit's ridiculous" with all your heart behind it is the most liberating experience of your life.

You may miss out on the conveniently pre-canned answers and flat-packed world view. You may find yourself living a double life to keep the truth about you hidden from family and friends who would damn you if they knew.

But it's all worth it, because you're fucking free.

groovyjoss said...

Christianity isn't about toeing the line, whoever gave you that impression is a moron. And it certainly isn't about swallowing questions. I reckon all questions should be asked, and then try and find the answers.
I think being on good speaking terms with 'the big guy' is about living an awesome life, not settling on something little and crappy and hoping to get to heaven at the end.

I think you need to leave Houghton and go do something with your life for a while somewhere else.

the reified bean said...

Weeeell, Joss, I've met many a moron in my time. I don't give a crap what "Christianity" is about. I care about what is, and what isn't. When I talk about being on good terms with God, there's a little tribalistic-religion fear there. Maybe he's not nice and cuddly. Maybe he's neither Jesus Crap (c) Jesus nor hippie indie Jesus. Maybe he's an asshole. But he's theoretically powerful, and if he wants an arbitrary religion based on toeing the line, and that's what it takes to be on good terms with him than shoot, I will sign up and toe the line. Just, c'mon, talk to me bossman, big guy...come through for me like you did for Samson and throw me a frickin' bone here. Who the fuck are you and what's your deal? What are you trying to accomplish with this six billion strong antfarm here?

And, Danny-O, I don't worship the American Dream, so "liberating" and "experience" are not the best buzzwords to chuck my way, and I don't think I give a shit about the "religious edifice," though I'm not quite sure what you're talking about there (any one of the established religions, or religion in general...in which case, what I'm after is not the edifice, but what is or used to be or could be at least partially housed therein: the reality about the existence/nonexistence of God, meaning, beauty, hope, life, whatever.)

At any rate, I'm not interested in being "fucking free" because I'm only limited, right now, by material limits like the need for work and food and such--don't tell me you are free of that, I read your blog. And I'm limited by the decay of my own miserable soul. And seemingly incurable laziness, but that's probably neither here nor there, unless I really do need to be freed from myself, and thus, annihilated, which doesn't seem very freeing.

I don't know why you feel "freedom" is so important--and don't let me disrespect the shit you've shoveled in life by downplaying that importance to you--but it's not so important to me. If God is truly an asshole, and wants to take away my freedoms, he is more than welcome to, it's his universe and I'm just a small part of it. But if trading away some of my "freedom" is the road to some happiness or purpose, then I'd be more than happy to make the trade because...I'd be happy, after all, and the misery would be palatable. Like hiking through a shitty bog to get someplace sweet (and I'm not--necessarily--talking about heaven so much as the good patches of life on earth).

Quite frankly, I've been "free," I walked away from it all, and it's not really that great. I was lonely and adrift and life was not just meaningless, but also tedious and downright cruel. I'd rather be happy. I really want to be whole and have a hale and hearty and boisterous soul, if it's possible. I'd like to bring forth something good for the world--I'd like to be a blessing. I just want to know if I'm hoping in vain and there is nothing beautiful, worthwhile, noble or great beyond my pathetic wreckage. And if there really is something both true and good about human experience, what is it? (also, is it existentially created meaning, or intrinsically discovered? but I digress into academics and away from my heart...)

I'd rather believe that this world--and the people in it--are beautiful and worthwhile. Or at least beautiful and worthwhile some times, because they are undoubtedly ugly and cruel and if that's all there is, then I would like to know so I can check out.

Well, looking at my last conclusion, the point of that whole rambling was that it's a lamentation. Amy Kurlow felt something and I feel it too: I used to have a nice moral compass and it felt very secure, and now that I have questioned its veracity, I am left in the fundamentalist's worst nightmare: uncertainty. What is right, what is wrong, and what is important or worthwhile?

It's the dreaded moral vacuum...and I mean it when I say, people seem happier when they don't believe in moral vacuums. But am not one of those people--my faith in the compass was shaken, and there aren't any good maps, and when I say I'm not on good speaking terms with God, (or, the Universe, for those of you opposed to the personalizing the infinite) I mean it--he ain't sayin' nothin' to me, and I am yammerin' at him/her/it (and don't tell me that "stop and listen" platytude--think I didn't try that already? I'm not a complete wally, and I'm not the only one who is having difficulty navigating this crapheap) Whatever people say, the Bible is a terrible map and a worse instruction book, and there are a million different "Christianities" and I've been dissatisfied with them all.

Anonymous said...

Hm. Seems trite to comment on a blog when you obviously need a face-to-face conversation. But unless you're coming to DC this weekend, maybe a comment will have to do?

There's a time to question. (or many times) And there's a time to take a look at the world around you and realized that it f'd ITSELF up-that we, as sinful, disgustingly selfish individuals f'd ourSELVES up. I don't like when you asked what God is "trying to accomplish here with his six billion strong ant-farm." Because I think you know the answer is that he's TRYING to offer us the chance to be holy enough to get to spend the rest of forever with him. But in the f'd up state you so eloquently point out that we're in-we can't really be with God. Because He is perfect and demands perfection from us. He's not trying to create an antfarm Dan; if he wanted to do that he'd do it without giving us the opportunity to question or have free will. He'd do it with ants.

And what is the great experience we're supposed to look for, here, on this earth, as lowly humans? It's to enjoy and worship God. And when you start thinking that life is about being "pretty sweet" or "finding meaning" or "getting out of a moral vaccuum" then you are paying WAY too much attention to yourself, to other human-like things and not nearly enough attention to the reason we were created in the first place-to praise and worship God.

That might not sound like so much "fun" and it might not sound like it's full of meaning. It doesn't seem like it saves lives or makes people better people, but it's what you were created for. You were created for God. You were not created for yourself. You were not created to discover meaning. You were not created for another human. And if you don't want to do what you were created for, then don't do it. But don't get mad at God about it. He's given you the choice to either worship him or not worship him, obey him or not obey him. And if you want to think that life is about "more" than that, that's your perogative certainly, but you can't get mad at Him about your own choices. I think maybe YOU are the absentee jerk (and myself etc), because you are just the Created and you're the one that has the choice to be absent or present. God is always going to be present, cute plaques, kittens or a disgusting, broken, selfish world irregardless.

PS. We love you.

-tskd