14 May 2006

housekeeping

is painful. behold, my room, the many-piled domain of entropy. at least I found my watch.

experiences of the weekend have validated previous observations that balconies are superior to porches and, indeed, many other manifestations of architecture. in more than just the literal sense. my conclusion draws its support not just from a multitude of daytime sunshine and evening conversation upon my balcony, but the same from Kat and Paul's balcony as well. indeed, it seems that the older and more worn a balcony is (and, perhaps, the more precarious), the better. additionally discovered over a weekend of graduation in Houghton, is that balconies are wonderful places to sit in the cool of the evening and listen to Great Big Sea.

balconies also maintain a better entropy than rooms. between the wind and the rain, that which is untended is caught up into a more natural and unsuspended entropy than that which is left in enclosed spaces. there is no artificial prolongation, no long, haunting empty shell clinging motionless.

and that is the rambling of the day.

--

I have decided to continue this round-table political discussion in a place where it will not consume my rather limited creative space here. Abbreviated ponderances and succint considerations on the reified nature of "government" in this debate, whether or not "governments" have a responsibility to act, and if the focus of "righteousness" is personal piety or communal action, will follow in short notice as time permits.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I have been kind of itching for a discussion that wasn't so full of dissension...

I found myself battling entropy and imposing order this past week. I spent two days packing, a day driving, and a day un-packing. It is tiring yet rewarding.

On the one hand, I am reminded of an uncomfortable number of things I would like to read again, but am unable to spare the time to.

On the other hand, I get a chance to measure the value of some of the detritus that has built up in my room, and cast away things which are no longer needed.

If only I could have realized that before I packed it up, boxed it, and then took it on an 11-hour car trip...

Whitfield said...

hmmm... I've been reading Shantung Compound...

Whitfield said...

You need to update. :) I want to see wedding pictures. (I sound like a demanding 4 yr old.) Rainy season has officially settled upon Akita. Several shirts (including the one I'm wearing and contemplating changing, though I haven't quite made up my mind to.) smell faintly of mildew... hm.

sayonara,
Rachel

KJBLS said...

YAY!
Those were the first wedding pics Paul and I have gotten to see!
Thank you! It was great to see you two there. And uh, great to get married, too. :)
Thanks again!

KJBLS said...

where are you? when are you moving to houghton?

KJBLS said...

um, i think my previous comment was a mistake--i thought you were chuck.

Whitfield said...

Dan! For pete' sake! POST already!! grins I miss your wit to season my mostly jokeless/sarcasmless life in japan. unless of course i tell jokes to and use sarcasm with myself... but the affect is mostly definitely NOT the same. ;)

KJBLS said...

POST POST POST!

(I am sacrificing my pride by commenting again)